Sunday, February 18, 2007

Valentines week

Like many, I use to have feelings of pseudo-dislike for Valentines Day, but after age 20 or so I think I got over that and realized that it's just silly to resist a holiday that celebrates in chocolate!
But that just reminded me of this tradition in my high school- not sure if other high schools had this tradition but at mine there were these things called "grams"- they came in all different forms- like candy grams, and binder grams, and balloon grams, etc. and they were little cards-with-a-goodie that the school sold on Valentines Day to raise money for various clubs. Well they sold them all before Valentines Day to be delivered on Valentines Day. Then when like 5th period or something rolled around there would be a break in class when some students came in to deliver to all the winners. Anyway, I just remember it being a slightly painful part of high school as some people would get like 5 of these and I would pretend like I totally didn't want one of those stupid things but was secretly kinda embarrassed that I didn't get one. . . . although I think Holly did send me one one year- that was great!
Anyway, totally not the point of this post. What I was getting at was what a lovely Valentine's celebration we had this year. Wayne has been a great date for me and Shawn the last few years, so the tradition was carried on when the 3 of us went to Woo at the Zoo last Saturday, the San Francisco zoo's Valentine week sex tour. It was this 3 hour presentation on the mating rituals of various animals and it was fiercely entertaining. It was mainly done in the form of a slide show but a few animals were brought in for show-and-tell, like this eagle
who does it in the air, belly up-ish, talons clasped to it's partner, as it free-falls from a cliff.
There was this legless lizard-
I don't remember how they do it but they look gross enough that I don't really want to know that much more about them anyway (I've had a distaste for eel-like animals ever since reading Memoirs of a Geisha years ago).
Anyway, I highly recommend this tour.
Then on Tuesday I went with a friend and got a fancy pedicure, complete with pink polish and diamonds- I'm pretty sure they were diamonds, and bought a $6 chocolate-covered strawberry (what the hell?!) for Shawn.
Then on Wednesday, the actual pink heart day, Shawn and I went to this pillow fight downtown. This was another worth-while experience. Words and pictures don't do it justice. And just in case anyone is unfamiliar with San Francisco weather, that is not snow- it's feathers.
SF friends- please come with next time!!!
We didn't really have any dinner plans after that, but we headed toward home and ended up at our default restaurant- Blue Fin. Oh, how we love Blue Fin! I'm afraid too many people are starting to catch on to this being the best sushi place in SF though. We almost had to wait! While there, Shawn, being the fan-fabulous husband he is, gave me a love letter (the highlight of this week and this post). You don't get to know what it said though :) Then we went over to Emily's place for some darn-good flourless orange-chocolate cake; if I had to choose between that and the love letter, it might be difficult.
Then on Thursday the festivities continued at The Janet Pomeroy Center (the place I "volunteer" with the theater group) with the annual Valentine Dance. There was a special treat this year with Audi doing a lip sync performance to "I feel good"- the place was rockin'!
This is my very good friend Liz, a talented actress and play write, who is gonna be disgusted that I posted her picture on a post about Valentine's Day!
And here's our fearless leader, David Lovis, the director of Theater Unlimited.
And that concludes this week of love.

No comments: