Thursday, November 06, 2008

More from Reno/Obama trip

I have so many jobs I'm really excited about sharing that are waiting to be posted right now, but first I just want to finish up with some pictures and thoughts from our weekend in Nevada canvasing for Obama.
First of all, YAY! I'll spare you many more words than that since so many people have been able to put their emotions and reactions to last Tuesday much more eloquently than I. Suffice it to say: One of my all-time most treasured moments.

So if you hadn't yet noticed, or put 2 and 2 together, may I point out that Nevada was in fact a blue state this election! Pretty sure our little band can be thanked for that! :)
Ok, so the following are some images from the rest of our weekend up there. We actually stayed at a big cabin in Tahoe. A ways away from Reno, but well worth it for the space and nature that we got to hang out in.

There was much fort-building involved all weekend long, complete with secret traps and everything.




Sunday morning I went for a walk with Liesel and Jenny and it was such a lovely trip down to the water in the quiet morning where we just laid on the warm rocks and ran our hands through pebbles as we talked.







I was really grateful for this time I had with both of them. I have had such a hard time these last few months with everything surrounding Proposition 8. I couldn't be more against this movement. Shawn and I have donated a significant amount of time and money in the fight against amending our constitution to exclude a group of people from having the same rights, privileges, and standing as we enjoy. And this effort has been made so much more difficult and hurtful, because the church I belong to and love has played such a huge role in leading the other side of the battle. This saddens me to no end. I love my church so much. I find such core truths there. It has played a huge part in making me who I am and giving me the values I hold dear. It has taught me how to seek after the better part. The list could go on . . . but right now I am so mad at this same institution. I feel that they are 100% wrong and out of line on this issue. They have this amazing ability to get people to do things, and I'm just sick over the fact that this is what they did with that ability. I'm embarrassed and ashamed. And I feel wrong saying I'm Mormon. It's a little hard to explain (especially in a blog post that wasn't really intended to be about this) but this has just been so hard for me. I have cried many times. It's really sad to hate something you love. . . But the point here was that being with these two women was comforting. There's just nothing quite like having someone in your boat, even if it's a teeny tiny canoe in between two big cargo ships.

A little later in the day all 13 of us went for a hike up the mountain at Alpine Meadows.


I have to say that I was pretty impressed. When we started off I didn't think there was any way the kids would be up for such a long and steep hike, but man, they are tough!








Dad and daughter.


The goal was to get to snow. When we got to this "waterfall" we found big sheets and blocks of ice, which was good enough for most of the adults so we stopped there but the kids continued hiking up the waterfall in their search for snow.




While the adults stayed behind, there was still a fair amount of worrying going on :)


So anyway, that was our weekend- it was grand!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you do it!?! You captured the essence of each moment with perfection! You are amazing. We're so glad you were there (and not just for the photos).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we have a love for Jenny in common. She shared your photos, they are beautiful!