Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Facing History Benefit dinner, last year.

Also last weekend, Facing History and Ourselves, a nonprofit organization that Shawn and I give to (an amazingly wonderful nonprofit that does fabulous work and you should definitely check out) was having their annual Benefit Dinner. We had every intention of going, but somehow kept forgetting to buy our tickets until it was too late. So anyway, while this is where we were supposed to be last Sunday night after getting back from the Farm, we were not, but I thought this was a good excuse to share something I've been avoiding sharing for the past year. . . .
At last year's dinner, I was actually asked to do "the ask". That's where, in front of 100s of people eating really nice food at The Four Seasons Hotel, and after they have all just heard some really amazing speakers with all sorts of degrees and credentials and influence and experience speak, I get up at the end and ask everyone to consider what they've heard and donate money. Slightly nerve racking . . . a lot nerve racking . . . the nerves were 100% racked.
While I practiced for weeks beforehand, it still didn't do much to make me into a public speaker, and I actually really hate watching the video. In fact, I've only watched it once, and not even all at the same time because the first time I tried to watch it I was so . . . what's the word. . . ehhhk, watching myself, that I couldn't even watch. I look like a bird or something. I have no idea why my mouth makes such funny shapes when I'm nervous.
So I clearly didn't want anyone else to see this, buuuuttttt, at the same time, in all seriousness, this was also one of the moments in my life when I have been the most proud to be involved with something. The work that this group does is truly the work that I feel will make the world a better place. Plus, it's been a year, and I'm way prettier now! And I'm sure I no longer talk like a bird.

Ok, so first, here's a pic from the event

and now, here it goes: Me speaking at the 2009 Facing History Benefit Dinner.

But also, please check out one of the other speakers from the night. Trevor Gardner is just one of Facing History's many dedicated teachers, and I know you don't know him like you know me, but his speech was much more interesting and inspiring than me asking for money, so look at that one too.

5 comments:

Shawn said...

I was nervous for Robyn too, but she nailed it.

Mateo said...

very well done. thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about that. I have never heard of the program before, but I am going to look into it more. Your speech was really inspiring.

Mom said...

Can't believe you waited so long to post this. You were great. I'm so proud of you, as always

richard dandelion said...

Killed it. I've never heard of this program, but you made me want to know more.

—Manutius/Justin