Friday, May 02, 2008

May Day

Today was May Day and ever since I can remember I have wanted to take part in a May Day Festival. I have no idea where one would be or what all it would involve, but as a little girl my mom ALWAYS read me this book- Tasha Tudor's A Time to Keep, (to which, I might add, my mom's dogs Addie and Hudson can thank for their existence. Miss Tudor loved Corgis and included them in all her drawings, drawings that my mom loved!)
Anyway, in that book, when she gets to May, there is this picture of a bunch of kids- girls in pretty, flowing, country dresses dancing barefoot around what I guess is a May Day pole. It has dozens of ribbons connected to the top and as the children circle the pole the ribbons decorate it. Man I can't even tell you how much I remember wanting to transport myself to that spot. I remember after we'd finish the book I would always go back to that one page and just stare at it. It's so funny- the things we remember- I probably haven't seen that book in 20 years yet that one page of that one book is such a clear picture in my head, and any time I realize it's May 1st, that image fills my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is your best post ever! It makes me tear up to think you remember that book and page so fondly. I remember participating in May pole dance when I was in about 5th grade. The tradition died away when the Soviets made May 1st a big holiday to display all their weapons in a massive parade. Maybe now that the Soviet Union is no longer a country, May Day will be revived. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Two days in a row? VERY impressive!
:)